The VUMA collective has developed a new iteration of the geo-triggered audio app VUMA Soner, which will be presented as part of the exhibition The Ocean at Bergen Kunsthall opening on 28 August 2021.
In the form of a guided tour, a racialised Bergenser tells local histories, using the moving in and out of Bergen via the sea as a departure point to examine the historical presence and impact of diasporic peoples in Bergen. The app invites audiences to visit three places in the city: Narvesen Rundetårnet on Torget, Sukkerhusgaten at Nøstet, where sugar arrived from the Carribean colonies, and Thormøhlens gate in Møhlenpris, named after a Bergen merchant who strongly influenced the Danish-Norwegian slave trade.
- Project development: Sheila Feruzi, Christa Mako Teigen
- Sound: Ahmet Tolga Balci
- Creative writing consultant: John Mukaya, Marcus McLeggon
- Voice acting: Marcus McLeggon
- Research: Nora Mohammed, Adam H. Moshi
- Artistic consultant: Amber Ablett
Photos: Wengeal Abebe