The workshop will be covering the following topics:
- General introduction to surround sound and spatial hearing
- Uswe of mono and MS (mid-side) shotgun microphone, and conversions bewteen MS and stereo
- Surround recording using the SoundField SPS200 ambisonics microphone and Tascam DR-680 multichannel protable digital recorder
- Pre-processing of recordings made using the SoundField microphone (conversion from A-format to B-format)
- Decoding B-format signals to stereo, binaural, 5.1 surround and more using the Harpex plugin
- Using multichannel sound cards and setting up mutlichannel playback systems
- Work on surround sound in DAW software (Reaper) and video production (Final Cut)
- Upmixing of mono and stereo sources
- Using various spatialisation techniques in Max and Jamoma for varying loudspeaker setups
- Using surround sound in your own artistic and creative projects
The workshop aims at developing practical skills as well as artistic and creative experience. Work on your own creative ideas and projects, with supervision, is an important part of the workshop.
The workshop lasts for five days, runnign from 10:00 to 16:00. Participants are expected to participate for the whole of the week.
The workshop is free, but participants are expected to bring their own laptop, and their own licenses for software they want to use (e.g. Reaper, Final Cut Pro or Max).
Sign up by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information: Name, contact info (email and cell phone), a brief intro on yourself, your prior experience (if any) with work on sound, why you want to join the workshop and whether there’s anything particular you would want to work on.
Workshop leader is Trond Lossius.
This workshop is supported by the Municipality of Bergen, Hordaland County Council and Arts Council Norway.
The workshop is a collaboration with the Re:place artistic research project initiated by Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHIB) in association with Oslo Academy of Art (KHIO) and The Grieg Academy (Griegakademiet).