The workshop aims at developing practical skills as well as artistic and creative experience. Use the workshop to work on and develop your own creative ideas and projects, with supervision. Wednesday evening there will be a Multi concert at Lydgalleriet/Østre. Following that we move from BEK to Lydgalleriet for the last two days of the workshop. At Lydgalleriet you will get the opportunity to play, listen to and experiment with the 25-channel 3D ambisonic rig.
The workshop will be covering the following topics:
- General introduction to surround sound and spatial hearing
- Working with surround sound in the REAPER Digital Audio Workstation
- Using multichannel sound cards and setting up multichannel playback systems
- Introduction to ambisonics
- Recording for surround and ambisonics sound production, using equipment available at BEK.
- Encoding mono, stereo and surround sound recordings to ambisonics
- Decoding ambisonics sound fields to mono, stereo, UHJ stereo, various surround speaker configurations and decoding for binaural headphone listening
- Spatially transforming ambisonics sound fields using the Ambisonic Toolkit (ATK) for Reaper
- Effect processing of ambisonic sound fields
- Surround sound in video production using Final Cut Pro X
- Working with higher-order ambisonics
- Using surround sound in your own artistic and creative projects
Participants are expected to have some prior knowledge with audio editing in DAW programs such as Logic, Cubase, Reaper, ProTools, Ableton Live or similar. The workshop is free, but participants are expected to bring their own laptop (Win or OSX), headphones, and a licenses for the REAPER software. The workshop lasts for five days, running from 10:00 to 16:00. The first thre days the workshop takes place at BEK. Thursday and Friday we relocate to Lydgalleriet. Participants are expected to participate for the whole of the week.
Sign up by sending an email to email@example.com, with the following information: Name, contact info (email and cell phone), a brief intro on yourself, your prior experience (if any) with work on sound, why you want to join the workshop and whether there’s anything particular you would want to work on.
The workshop leader is Trond Lossius.